Samstag, 24. September 2016

deftones - s/t

back in the day when korn, coal chamber and the like dominated my playlist, i was also a fan of deftones. my first record i got from them was "around the fur" and i loved it. "my own summer" is such a great opener and the whole record is a damn scorcher. i bought the predecessor "adrenaline" as well as "white pony" in 2000, all great records. in 2003, when the band released their fourth, self-titled album, my interest in new metal began to decrease.
i got the cd burned by a friend and remember that it was not convincing me in its full duration. fast forward ten years plus and i came across many copies of deftones records in almost every record store i have been. until last week i never felt the urge to get one but then, one evening killing time listening to music, i suddenly wanted to listen to "hexagram". it's the opener of the record and was always one of my favourite song of the band. then i listened to the whole album and thought to meself, boy, it aged pretty good.
when i visited blitz record store in kiel lately, had already packed the iron maiden vinyl and then stumbled upon this shining, new copy of "deftones", i just had to take it. funny how this album and me have come full circle after thirteen years. my copy is a re-press from 2012. it comes in a simple slip sleeve with an insert and is pressed on black standard gram vinyl. sounds lovely on vinyl, especially the guitar sound is so heavy and yet organic. nice! maverick records. 2012.