Dienstag, 14. Juli 2015

korn - issues

i remember how excited i was in december 1999. it was christmas and i knew i would get the new korn cd 'issues' as a gift because it was on top of my wish list. i was thirteen back then and without the financial possibilities of today it was something real special to get a hold on original cd's. my uncle gave it to me and after the gifts were handed out and all the relatives went home, i jammed the compact disc into my discman and played it for the first time.
back then i was split over 'issues'. there were a bunch of great songs on it but also some songs that felt like fillers. i played the shit out of that album but back then it couldn't really live up to 'follow the leader' to me. now with sixteen years of further musical imprinting it still can't, because 'follow the leader' took deeper emotional roots within me - but i appreciate it more than in the past. 'issues' shows korn at the peak of their song-writing skills.
so many great songs on it. the intro 'dead' sends shivers down my spine, 'wake up' seems like the most underrated korn pearl of all to me, 'dirty' with its dissonant song structures is unbelievably strong and the best korn song of all time is on this album - 'somebody someone' is such a raw and heavy piece of music, it makes me want to jump around uncontrollably. on top those five lovely interludes, including the intro, make clear that this record is worked out right down to the last detail.
still some weaker songs on the album. stuff like 'no way' or 'hey daddy' but if i listen to all korn records up to the split, which is the departure of head to me, and all for the first time now, i would pick 'issues' for the best. i picked up this record at saturn store in hamburg, the same day i had my elder shopping spree. music on vinyl re-issues are pretty pricey and the price tag on this one wasn't low by any means, but still a bit cheaper than internet options and so it was mine. lovely coloured double vinyl with disc one on orange marble and disc two on yellow marble. 1500 copies made. music on vinyl. 2015.